How I’m Staying Fit While I’m Pregnant

Let’s start out by agreeing that weight gain and pregnancy go hand in hand. HOWEVER, this is under the assumption that it is a healthy amount of weight gain (currently defined as 25-35lbs). I understand that it can be difficult to keep the weight gain under control, especially as you near your due date. I’m just about to enter the third trimester and have been surprised at how much my body has changed already. I already see how hard it is to keep weight gain under control. Here are a few things that are helping me stay fit during my pregnancy and avoid excess weight gain:

Going to the gym: Yes! You can work out while pregnant, as long as you have the ok from your physician or midwife. I have found this is the most essential thing for me. While I was an avid gym-goer before my pregnancy, my first trimester was so awful that I couldn’t even think about going to the gym until I hit about 14 weeks. Since then I have tried to make it to the gym at least 3 times a week. I walk a mile on the treadmill, do a mile on the elliptical, and then I do light (25lbs or less) weight lifting and body weight exercises to keep from losing all my muscle.

Walking: I also spend four hours a day helping my grandmother, much of which is walking around the house and doing light housework. I’ve found that just the walking and staying active during the day help to keep me from just sitting around and eating all the time (which is definitely what I feel like doing sometimes).

Drinking water: This has been the hardest one for me! I have never been a soda drinker and usually just drink water, but I’ve always struggled with drinking ENOUGH water. I would recommend keeping a large bottle of it with you at all times because you don’t want to drink a lot at meals (it dilutes your stomach acid, making it harder to digest food).

Eating the right amount: This is essential. I hear all the time how I have to “eat for two”. This is definitely not the right way to think about it. In the first trimester you should eat the same amount of calories you have been eating prior to pregnancy! Experts say by the second trimester you only need to increase caloric intake by 300 calories a day and by the third trimester you only need an extra 500 calories a day. Try to keep this in mind and remember to make those HEALTHY calories – not empty calories. Nutrition is everything when we are growing a human being! My favorite snacks since I’ve been pregnant are almonds, avocados, yogurt, and fruit, although I’ll be honest that I definitely give into the chocolate cravings on occasion!

Most importantly, we need to be supportive and encouraging of every mom-to-be, knowing we are all doing the best we can.

19 Comments

1. March 3, 2018 / 10:04 pm

Good for you!! I never went near the gym when I was pregnant and wish I had. It’s harder getting back into shape afterward when my body is totally out of the habit.

• March 4, 2018 / 3:11 am

Thank you! It’s definitely really difficult to find the motivation some days but I’m hoping by continuing to do it now it will still be a habit post-partum to help me get back in shape! Thank you for the read 🙂

• March 4, 2018 / 3:16 am

You’re going to be so glad you did after the little one comes along. Now it’s my “me time”!

• March 4, 2018 / 3:17 am

Exactly, I look forward to it! Glad to hear you’re able to get some of that elusive “me time”!

2. March 4, 2018 / 11:02 pm

Wonderful that you are staying in shape and embracing the changes too as you go on your pregnancy journey 🙂

• March 4, 2018 / 11:06 pm

Thank you and thanks for the read! It’s definitely a process.

3. March 5, 2018 / 1:15 pm

Hello! 🙂 I have nominated you and your blog for Liebster Award! If you are interested, tell me and I send you link to my blog. I tell more about this award more in my blog on Wednesday. 😊💕 -Tiia

• March 5, 2018 / 1:16 pm

Hi there! I’m definitely interested but I believe I’m already following you! Thanks for stopping by. I’ll check out your post about the award❤️

• March 5, 2018 / 1:25 pm

You’re welcome! 🙂 Thank you for following, I will follow you back, <3

4. March 7, 2018 / 7:51 pm

Congratulations on your pregnancy. Also, these are really great tips for anyone. Thanks for sharing

• March 8, 2018 / 1:06 am

Thank you! And yes they are, it’s helpful to have something to keep in mind when though it’s hard in general to stay fit!

• March 8, 2018 / 12:56 pm

Yes, thank you! I will definitely check those out.

5. March 28, 2018 / 1:04 am

Congrats! And great articles! I workout until the morning that I delivered by baby so this is totally doable. Keep up the great work momma to be. My blogs have some articles about preparing for motherhood, if you are interested 🙂

• March 28, 2018 / 12:28 pm

Thanks so much for reading!! I will definitely check out your blog 🙂

6. April 2, 2018 / 11:11 am

Oh gosh, I’m at my third trimester and still battling my morning sickness (while simultaneously ballooning up?!)

I’m so envious of all the mamas out there that can push themselves to work out and stay in shape while pregnant. You’ll definitely be glad you did post partum, I’m sure. You go girl!

• April 2, 2018 / 3:13 pm

Oh no! I can’t imagine still having morning sickness by the third trimester! I’m also in the third trimester and my morning sickness stopped around 14 weeks (thank God). It was really awful up till that point. It’s tough! And I’ll be honest, I haven’t made it to the gym in a few weeks because of the snow and business of life, but I am planning on going today. Everyone has their own ability level of activity during pregnancy and it’s a tough job even getting up in the morning!! Congrats on your pregnancy mama ❤️